FCI Hip & Elbow Certification.... Help please? - Page 1

Pedigree Database


by fullmoonwss on 06 January 2020 - 13:01

I'm a bit confused on how the whole process works so a bit of a guide on the steps / how to get official FCI Hip & Elbow certification would be greatly appreciated!!

General information can be found on this page:

But what it doesn't really include is the super basic-basic info... (I know rules vary from country to country, but in general... ) Such as, can I go to any veterinarian and get x-rays done? Or do I have to go to a "approved" vet? Who decides who's a "approved" vet if this is true? Normally, after x-rays, I'm assuming people send them to their kennel club to get it stamped?

**But Here's where it gets tricky for me....

My country's Kennel club does not have official hip & elbow scoring system... therefore, they do not offer this service...
(They said they'd e-mail me back though, after they "find some things out" to try to help me, but at this point, i'd rather just ask others for their opinion... )

So now, I'm trying to find an alternative... and i've been thinking- Is it even a 'possible thing' to send x-rays to the breeder who I got my imports from and ask them to send it to their kennel club? Not sure if this is a possible thing, and not sure if kennel club approves this... which is why I asked for the steps in the beginning because it would then sort of answers all my questions....

Any suggestions would be great, Thank you!


by AudreyE on 06 January 2020 - 20:01

What country are you located in?

Western Rider (admin)

by Western Rider on 07 January 2020 - 00:01

No matter what country you bought the dogs in if you are now in the US you need to join one of the two Schutzhund clubs.  Go too one of the locale clubs and get the information on how to join.

When you have done that, get the paper work needed to send the x-rays that you had done here according to the rules on the paper work .

The club will be able to tell you where to send them as they usually collect them until they have a stack and then send them off.



by Hundmutter on 07 January 2020 - 04:01

Vets' skills do vary. If you are having trouble sorting out which vet to use for X rays, belonging to your local GSD Club, as Western Rider suggests, will likely get you an 'in' on details like the knowledge of which vets in the region take satisfactory X rays (positioning is key), or are good generally with GSDs, and which are just in it to take your money. I think if there was some 'list' we'd have seen it promoted on here. [America is probably much too big a country to make such a list viable; even on a State by State basis. I wouldn't even think we could manage that over here in the " lil' ol' UK" !! ]

by fullmoonwss on 07 January 2020 - 04:01

Edit: to be more clear, I am now located in South Korea. (Moved here from the States, and my imports are all from Europe, flew to the states as puppy(s), then moved to Korea, and now, about 1.5 years old)

Yep.. We've done a lot of moving around.

Anyway, like I said, Korean Kennel Federation does not have the scoring system, so can't offer certifications.

So yes, still trying to figure out a way to get hd/ed results because it's highly unlikely or if not impossible that European breeders would consider my breeding female without these results (totally understandable!).

I guess the simple question is, can I send x-rays to another kennel club besides my own country's for certification ?? seems like a strange idea, but obviously my dog's pedigree's are all from their foreign home countries, and I wonder if they would accept an x-ray from a vet from an outside country.

If the FCI scoring system is not possible, I would be willing to try the US system (OFA) ... as long as something is POSSIBLE without physcially flying back and forth! $$$
At this point, i'm open to all ideas since I have no idea how to get any scores living in a foreign country.



by Hundmutter on 07 January 2020 - 10:01

Anyone think the SV might be able to help this OP out, if contacted ?


by Spruell on 07 January 2020 - 10:01

Your best bet is to email the SV and ask them what to do; they will know how to get your vet approved and then he/she can simply upload the digital xrays through their portal.

by fullmoonwss on 07 January 2020 - 11:01

Ok, will try that also. Thank you for the suggestions !

Western Rider (admin)

by Western Rider on 07 January 2020 - 18:01

You can ask the SV if your vet can send digital x-rays to the SV with proper paper work and the FEES and get them certified.

When reading information on many dogs you will see that dogs that do not live in Germany will state that their dogs are certified with the SV.


Contact information  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement  Copyright Information  Terms of Service  Cookie policy  ↑ Back to top