Storage mites - Page 1

Pedigree Database

 

by jettasmom on 09 December 2019 - 13:12

I have been dealing with my young male severe scratching, but no red skim no biting paws. small patchy hair loss on face for over a year. Tried many kinds of foods, allergy meds etc. Finally got a blood test and he was scratched tested for mites and negative, through Hesko for food and environmental allergies. Well, just got the results and the only allergy that showed up is Storage mites.
Since Ozzy was a pup I’ve poured the kibble in a container that was not air tight container, which just finding out can cause storage mites.
In the past few weeks I’ve been keeping good in the bag and putting it in an airtight container. I did this before I received test results not sure why.
Ozzy has been itching but it is a bit less. Hair loss still there. I’m stumped.
Vet never seen this and will be finding the best way to treat this.
She suggested freezing kibble in smaller freezer bags. I may just go to raw no issues with mites at all.

Anyone ever heard of or experienced this?

Hundmutter

by Hundmutter on 10 December 2019 - 02:12

Or you could do what I've always done and pour boiling water onto portioned kibble and allow to cool before serving. I picked up on doing this years n years ago because it was pointed out to me it would kill off any storage mites present in the dogfood (as well as pre-soaking the kibble to make it more digestible).

by ZweiGSD on 12 December 2019 - 10:12

If you poured boiling water on the kibble to kill the storage mites wouldn't the dog still be eating the mites (albeit dead) and still have the same reaction? Same thing if the kibble was frozen?

Jettasmom, only advice I can give is try raw and see if that helps.


Hundmutter

by Hundmutter on 12 December 2019 - 14:12

I would agree with that Zwei, except I don't think the mites are a consumption problem, more a question of them being able to run out of the bag or the dog bowl & hop onto the skin of the dog. (And being too tiny for us to see). The OP does not specify how the transmission in her dog is thought to occur and produce the allergic reaction.

Presumably frozen mites would still be consumed, in the same way as those killed by boiling.

All I can tell you is that I have found various things crawling around in stocks of dog foods & biscuits over the years, but I have never had a dog troubled by, or diagnosed with, an allergic reaction to storage mites. Yet I do not doubt the existence of such mites.

by ZweiGSD on 12 December 2019 - 19:12

I think it is an allover consumption/inhalation/contact problem with the mites as what I have read says that even dead ones pose a problem to allergic dogs. However the OP is probably more well versed in how they affect the dog.

Just gave me another reason why I prefer raw.


by jettasmom on 12 December 2019 - 19:12

Thanks for responses.
Most of my boys issue is on his face muzzle tips if ears. Small bald spots, inflamed hair follicles at the whiskers eyes and muzzle. Itching like crazy. Skin is always clear no redness. No issues with paws.

I’m just going by test results. Thinking it was food allergy I’ve tried elimination diet nothing worked.

Started raw yesterday and will just stay with that. He was given an injection of citopoint. Seems to be helping the itching a lot.

Time will tell if raw will help.

Hundmutter

by Hundmutter on 13 December 2019 - 07:12

The location of the symptoms would seem to indicate a contact, rather than a consumption, transfer of allergens. Hope you are successful with your switch to raw Jettasmom - best of luck, let us know how it goes. Don't forget will you, if you are still feeding kibble to other canine or feline members of your household, to ensure there can be no transfer of mites from stored food to raw.

by jillmissal on 15 December 2019 - 09:12

Storage mites aren't typically present in dog food from the manufacturer. If they develop in dog food they typically do so as a result from being in the owner's home. There's little to no point in trying to prevent them (and no point anyway as if they are present in your home they are as ubiquitous, and living in the same locations as dust mites). If you are concerned that eating them is the issue (unlikely), you'd have to keep all dog food stored in extremely well sealed containers and buy/ distribute in small quantities. Even so it's likely the dog will be exposed to them in your home regardless of what you feed it - storage mites are NOT introduced to your home via dog food.

Raw food has significant risks and absolutely no proven benefits, except to the manufacturers who make a ton of money claiming otherwise to prey on people's unfounded concerns about other types of dog food.

by jettasmom on 15 December 2019 - 10:12

Raw transition is going well. Both dog and pup are on raw now. Injection of cytomite given. Helping alot with itching.
Mites are in most homes and no issues with us or other pup, just because he is positive for them does not mean they are in the house or in the kibble. It’s frustrating that’s for sure.

 

why so down on raw??? Have you fed it before??? What is your big concern besides being careful in handling clean bowls after feeding and wiping counter with bleach. 
yes, it can be expensive  but IMO is better then kibble. 


GK1

by GK1 on 15 December 2019 - 15:12

Home prepared raw can be less expensive than some kibbles, just depends on how you prepare it. The main purpose of natural/raw feeding is to avoid ‘manufactured’ kibble..and the potential health risks which can be attributed to the synthetic additives, preservatives. Many so-called food ‘studies’ out there are backed by the commercial dog food industry.





 


Contact information  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement  Copyright Information  Terms of Service  Cookie policy  ↑ Back to top