How long would you wait to see if umbilical hernia goes away on its own?
While it is possible, it is unlikely to go away on its own. The size of it is of some relevance. Some dogs can live a totally normal life with a small one. But, if you are doing IGP or agility or some strenuous activity with your dog, it is probably best to have this done before it is eighteen months.
Gotcha. Of course my vet wants to fix now, pup is 4 1/2 mo and of corse spay at same time which is not happening. is it better to fix now or wait till older?
I personally would get it fixed now. They usually are not a very hard or serious surgery, and the less they weigh the cheaper it is, plus bounce back at a young age. IMO I hope this helps. Yes wait to Spay after 2 years.
Thanks. Was hoping it would clear on its own but I doubt it.
I would wait another 6-8 weeks. A good indicator would be if you start seeing a gradual reduction in size, especially if its already less than a dime in diameter at this age.
Research and thinking now on spaying is to wait at least until the dog has had two heats. Personally, I would not spay until my female was at least 3 or 4 unless you have an intact male. And even then, I would wait until she was at least 2. It sounds like your vet is not up to date on this.
As other posters noted, the operation is relatively simple with a very short recovery time. Basically none but keep her away from the stitches.
I can take a pic. I can push it in but she is so active squirming never sits still so hard to do sometimes. Hole is small but contents in sack bigger. Don’t want it to strangulate with bowel. Only fat tissue is in sac now. No color change in the sac as well.
Don't do anything, this will go away, or if not is just cosmetic. The female will have normal life with that, and will reproduce normally. I wouldn't worry about this at all.
My pup has a small umbilical hernia, and when she was younger I would get her to lie on her back (during quiet time) and gently push it back in, being careful of course. At her 14 week vaccinations, the vet said that it was nothing to worry about and could be closed when she was spayed. At 5.5 mos., she was in for a baby canine pulling (it broke when younger, was dead and was not wanting to drop out), and the vet said that the hernia was not a concern and just to leave it. The size of the hernia seemed to get smaller as she grew, but I think it stayed the same size and she just got a lot bigger around it.
Terms of Service
↑ Back to top