Quick question about registering a foreign dog with AKC - Page 1

Pedigree Database


by Pirschgang on 25 March 2020 - 12:03

Hey everybody.

I'm probably overthinking this, but I've got a quick question about registering a foreign dog with AKC.
The dog is a German Shepherd from Austria (Österreich).
As I'm sure many of you know, dogs born in Austria are registered with the "Österreichischer Verein für Deutsche Schäferhunde" (SVÖ), as well as German "Verein für Deutsche Schäferhunde" (SV).
So because the dog is from Austria, it has both a SVO stud book registration number, as well as a SV stud book registration number (e.g. the SZ number).
When I'm filling out the AKC Foreign Registration form, which foreign registry organization and number should I use? I'm assuming the SVÖ because the dog is from Austria, correct?
Thank you.

Q Man

by Q Man on 25 March 2020 - 20:03

I have no experience with using a Austrian Kennel Club Registration...But you can go on AKC's web-site and check to see if it's an accepted Kennel Club...accepted by the FCI...I would think it is so my question would be what is needed to register a dog with a Austrian Kennel Club Registration...Did you get an Export Pedigree?
Dogs with SV Registrations can be registered with the AKC but you need a Bescheinigung (Letter of Ownership)…
If you have any other questions you might direct them to AKC...


by Pirschgang on 08 April 2020 - 18:04

Update on this and would like some advise. I called the AKC and asked which Dog Registry I should use to when trying to register a dog from Austria. With Austria, dogs are registered with both the SV and SVÖ, with the SVÖ being the Austrian version of the German SV. Moreover, the SVÖ is apart of the Österreichischen Kynologenverbandes (ÖKV), which is basically like their version of AKC which encompasses and registers all breeds of dogs, not such German Shepherds. In essence, if you get a German Shepherd from Austria, they're effectively registered with the SV, SVÖ, and the ÖKV. When I called the AKC to ask which registry I should list on the application, they told me to go with the ÖKV. Not a problem. 

AKC requires this for foreign dog registration:

Certificate of Registration
. Attach a clear, legible photocopy of the original unrestricted (not a Limited Breeding) Certificate of Registration indicating the dog’s registry and owner of record. Do not send the original certificate. The AKC application and the foreign registration must reflect identical ownership.

Pedigree. Attach a clear, legible photocopy of the complete foreign three-generation Certified Pedigree from the registry in the dog’s country of birth (Export Pedigree if dog has been Imported to the US). Acceptable registries are listed in Section IV of the Special Registry Services pamphlet available on our Web site: www.akc.org. Do not send original pedigree.

For Canada, Bermuda and Mexico: See additional instructions below.

Bescheinigung. Attach a German certificate of transfer in letter form, if applicable. Do not send original Bescheinigung.

Photographs required for all dogs. Attach two (2) color photographs of the dog in a standing position: one front view; one side view. Print the dog’s name and registration number on the back of each photograph.

Note:  because this dog is using the Austrian registration, there's no need for a Bescheinigung.

Ok, so I thought I sent them all of this stuff.  I sent a photo copy of the Pink Papers, which lists the dogs name, chip number, breeder info, registration numbers, etc. on the first page.  The second and third pages list the 5 generation pedigree.
The last page of the Pink Papers has the Eigentumswechsel (Change of Ownership), which lists me as the new owner.  

I received a letter from the AKC today saying they couldn't complete the registration because "the Anerkennung required was omitted.  Please provide the Anerkennung which is the Export Certificate from Austria."

My question is, are the Pink Papers not an "Export Certificate" given the fact that it lists the breed and me as the new owner of the dog?  Also, I searched for "Anerkennung" on the SV, SVÖ, and ÖKV websites and returned no information.
Or are they needing the little blue booklet that's the EU Austria Pet passport that has "Details of Ownership" inside, which looks like this:


Hopefully all that made sense!



by 8lu3d09 on 08 April 2020 - 23:04

No, the Anerkennung is a certificate that should have been attached to the pink papers.

It should read as Annerkennung fur das Ausland.

You need to contact the Austrian kennel club and ask them for it.

by Pirschgang on 27 April 2020 - 16:04

Thanks for the reply, 8lu3d09.

I sent an email to Österreichischen Kynologenverbandes (ÖKV) about requesting the "Annerkennung für das Ausland", but I haven't heard anything back from them. Does anyone know of a good contact there that could assist in helping me get the "Anerkennung für das Ausland"?


Contact information  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement  Copyright Information  Terms of Service  Cookie policy  ↑ Back to top