German Shepherd Dog > 12 1/2 hours...no pups (10 replies)
12 1/2 hours...no pups
by fawndallas on 15 April 2012 - 08:40
|It has been 12 1/2 hours since I noticed the temp drop. Still no puppies. i know patience is the key .......but is there anything I can do to help move things along?|
by dogshome9 on 15 April 2012 - 09:58
If mum is not doing anything then all you can do is wait.
Please tell us is she nesting?
Lost the cevical plug?
Is she eating/ drinking.
If she is not really doing anything then you cannot do anything but wait until she is ready.
I know just how difficult it is to wait but unless SHE is stressed ( sorry but your stress doesn't count) then that is all you can do.
If you are really concerned then ring your vet.
by Blitzen on 15 April 2012 - 12:51
|The puppies will be born when they are born. As long as she's not in any visible distress, take it easy and go have a nap. If you take her to most vets on a Sunday they will say she needs a c-section. |
PS: I never take temps on pg bitches; nesting and panting are much more reliable signalments that she is getting ready to give birth.
by Dog1 on 15 April 2012 - 14:07
|What did her temp drop to? I've noticed a drop to 99 only to go up again and then drop to 98. It's when she drops to 98 that you can expect puppies. Usually that night. Wait it out, be patient.|
by SitasMom on 15 April 2012 - 16:51
the temp drop is a good indicator, but it isn't always the case. every dog is different.
by fawndallas on 15 April 2012 - 17:28
|"panting quick and shallow and than going back to a more regular pant " She has been done this for 2 days. She is resting now.|
There has been a mucus like discharge after every potty break since Thursday.
Her temp is running around 98 - 98.4 since yesterday mid-day.
Yes, I can take her to the vet. I just want to be sure it is time, as I do not want to stress her out.
1. trip 1 way is 2 hours
2. The is a likely hood the vet will say C-section
3. she is still eating - no slow down on this. She has actually increased by a large amount since Thursday.
4. She is not offically due until the 18th (day 65 from 1st tie)
I know I am a worrier. I am using all the self control I have to not constently check on her.
by melba on 15 April 2012 - 18:04
|One of my girls acts like and does this a WEEK before whelping. Mucus, usually starts about 5-7 days before as well.|
Not saying don't go to the vet, but if it were mine, I would probably wait a bit.
by JodyP on 15 April 2012 - 20:38
|looks like her temp hasn't come back up again yet. . she sounds fine.|
by SitasMom on 15 April 2012 - 20:50
gestation is from 58 to 63 days
by Jenni78 on 15 April 2012 - 21:04
|That's not always true. That is most common for GSDs, but there is no steadfast rule that anything over 63 days is "wrong".|
by fawndallas on 16 April 2012 - 02:16
|Thanks...I am sitting on my hands and waiting.|
Temp is still in the lower 98. She is resting more and staying in her whelping box more. I will be patient.