German Shepherd Dog > Brain tumor (10 replies)
by JRANSOM on 08 April 2012 - 05:04
Just asking what you would do. My friend has two GSD's from same litter. Brothers. 4 years old. One of them now has a massive brain tumor and is having seizures. Only getting worse! One vet says radiation might give him 1-2 more years. "But what kind of quality of life can there be in that time frame?
by dogshome9 on 08 April 2012 - 07:20
Such a difficult decission to make if the seisures are getting worse you really do have to think of the dog and only he can decide what needs to be done.
I had a dog with an inoperable brain tumour and my vet said that I would know when her time was right and I missed it >> She fell into the swimming pool and drowned.
My thoughts are with him and his dogs.
by aceofspades on 08 April 2012 - 07:57
|That is tough. We have been in similar situations, I always take the approach that the end needs to come before the quality of life suffers. Whether I am ready for it or not. I always think of the dog not myself.|
by Q Man on 08 April 2012 - 13:56
|It's diffently a very tough decisin...Only YOU can answer it...You're in charge and YOU must know when is the right time to end their suffering...|
Most of us have been there before and It's VERY Hard...
I know I've waited too long before...But you also don't want to take this final step too soon either...
The answer is...to put an end to your dog's pain before it gets too bad...To do it at the right time is a very hard call...Particularly when you're so involved (emotionally) with them...
When there's no hope and you're doing the right thing for your friend....Is the right time...
I wish you luck...And always remember you have to think or remember the Good Times you both had...
by GrassDog on 08 April 2012 - 14:15
|Such a tough call. I was a Vet tech for 12 years and I have seen when people wait too long, or try to fix an unfixable situation. I say better 2 weeks to early than 2 days to late.|
When my heart dog looked at me and said oh no mom, something is really wrong. I put on my big girl panties and did what was the right thing for him. A big peice of my heart left with him but it was best for him. It is not about us. I know some people have a hard time with it,but it is for them. I would NEVER let my dogs suffer.
When my heart girl left she just went in her crate and went to sleep. I realize now that it was such a blessing.
Your friend has a sad choice, if the seizures are getting worse she/he needs to make some kind of a decision.Peace or treatment.
Though it would hurt me I would choose peace. Some things we can not fix.
by Conspicuous on 08 April 2012 - 15:28
I am new here, but just wanted to sign up so I could post in this thread.
I am very sorry to hear of your friends troubles with their dog.
I lost two cats within a year of one another. The second that I lost was just 4 years old, he had cancer and declined rapidly. He made the decision for me, bless him. The other cat was just 6 years old. I took her for test after test and they could not find out what was wrong with her. She was getting terrible nose bleeds, although in between she was happy and eating, so I was holding off although they were becoming more frequent and more severe. One night, about two weeks before I was leaving for 2-1/2 week trip to Germany, she had the worst nose bleed yet. My sister was going to cat sit for me while I was away and I made the decision to put her to sleep, so my sister wouldn't have to possibly make that choice for me while I was away. I probably could have had more tiem with her, but I do not regret my decision.
It will hurt just as much for your friend to put the dog to sleep now, or in a year. The difference will be for the dog. You are better off to do it a day too soon, than a day too late. Doing it a day too late, your friend will regret for the rest of their life. We are lucky in that we are able to give our beloved pets a peaceful and dignified passing into their next life. It will hurt no matter when it happens.
I wish your friend strength and courage for the road ahead.
by Nans gsd on 08 April 2012 - 15:28
|I like to think as my dogs owner, caregiver and special person that the decision is in my hands; I want my dogs if possible to be able to walk with me into the vet's office, I don't want to have to have a stretcher to carry them in, then I know I have waited too long. A brain tumor is very, very serious as are seizures that ARE definitely life threatening; I would not want my dog to go into a seizure when I was not with him/her and have their temperature rise to 110 degrees F and suffer and prolong the inevitible without out myself being able to help. That to me would be devastating and I would feel that I have failed the dog. JMO So sorry you have to make these decisions, but at least you do have the option to do so now and not let the dog suffer. And WOW; 4 years old is so young he would definitely have a lifetime of suffering and seizures. Best of luck to you, Nan|
by Alamance on 08 April 2012 - 20:09
|Hi, I am going to email you, so please read my post!!!|
by Alamance on 08 April 2012 - 20:48
by Kalibeck on 09 April 2012 - 03:04
|Very sad, but peace would be my choice. As was said, it hurts just as bad later. And then there is the burden of knowing that your dog may have suffered due to your delay. That is truly terrible to bear, if you love your dog. Better for both your friend & their dog to choose a peaceful, dignified passing. Good luck, jackie harris|
by JRANSOM on 10 April 2012 - 00:02
|Hi and thanks for all your responses.|
I don't know what's been done yet I only know that he is home from hosp. and trying to be kept comfortable.
I do know what I would do.....as hard as it is.
Just very sad! Only 4 years old!