German Shepherd Dog > Look at these hips (763 replies)
by Abby Normal on 28 December 2011 - 23:43
|If the breeder comes up with a refund of the purchase price of the pup that will presumably offset some of the cost of surgery. I certainly think the breeder should not hesitate to give you a full refund in the circumstances. Beardog is offering to help with a vet. surgeon with reasonable fees. I wouldn't be too quick to opt for PTS until the possibility of surgery becomes a total impossibility, and until you have given yourself time to research every option and think it all through. At the moment your head and heart are not clear. |
Dogs that have successful hip surgery do not live miserable painful lives, at least mine didn't, they have their lives given back to them. Sometimes they only need one hip done, and that good hip will compensate for the other. They are not done together in any case, and you may find that one is sufficient, or one plus a FHO, and this in itself gives you time to save for the second surgery if it is needed.
It is terrible bad luck for you both, and a horrible situation to be in. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
by 3Shep2 on 28 December 2011 - 23:49
Is your puppy happy? Active, willing to go . . . . Do research-don't jump to hasty decisions.
I've spent a lot of money on my dogs with no regrets-I've allowed no one's opinions to make my decisions--as long as I could provide quality of life-that the dog was able to enjoy being alive . . . . After all, life is the most precious gift whether it is beast or human-once it's gone, it is gone.
by yellowrose of Texas on 28 December 2011 - 23:51
|I am so sorry but realistically, the pup needs to be put down|
Sorry but I sold Mesquite PD investigator a pup and at 9 mos old same thing...So I INSISTed THE PUP be put down....they cried for a month or two but both being k9 trainers and he was a Police trainer,,,knew it had to be done...they had the money but they know the possiblility of months away from job, lots of time and pain that may not be able to be a dog they wanted they pts.
I replaced that pup and they bought 2 TWO more gsd from me after that so look at it from the prospective....This happens in no matter what breeder you buy from NOT one human alive that has bred more than 5 litters or more can say they have never had a bad hip pup produced.
Those hips are severe and as a pup it is good you cauight it..
True , some dogs live thru it with swimming but FACE it the cost of constantly medicating and taking months and years of rehabilitating is COSTLY also..
Dogs cannot talk ,,and the german shepherd will SUFFER and never let you know ..I could not face my pup suffering or any of my dogs...suffer one day...and meds are dangerous and EAT up the LIVER>>>then you have worse side effects.
God put us in charge of the beasts and the brains as we have to make decisions...as dogs do not reason and they cannot talk..
The people who I replaced the pup are forever greatful I pushed them...They have three wonderful gsd from me that are retired up where MOONS lives and I even told them about the pedigree database and gave Moons their phone number so my reputation followed my word..
ChrissyKIM: This is the puppy that had the horrible hips like your and Kathy did the right thing..SHe is here holding him the day she took him from my place. It is part of the heartache of dog breeding..
Make your decision after you talk to the breeder..DO NOT post names here..We have too much unkindness now here, and the breeder will want to have first chance to make it right...HAVE FAITH in your breeder... I am sure by now that breeder has been told especially since others know about your pup and all the problems..
by Beardog on 28 December 2011 - 23:57
|Well spoken 3Shep2 & Abby.|
Were it from my breeding I would fully refund the cost of your purchase, or if the surgery required were not that expensive you should have that portion back to cover the cost.
Maybe I'm just a dinosaur?
by Blitzen on 29 December 2011 - 00:00
|Sometimes vet schools are more reasonable than vets in private practice for orthopedic surgeries.|
by B.Andersen on 29 December 2011 - 00:09
Get a quote from a vet in Phoenix 5000 is too high. Femoral head removal works well on young dogs but this case is so severe that I have to agree with YR.
by danny killeen on 29 December 2011 - 00:13
|Give the dog sleep. Consider posting the pedigree so that others may learn from it.|
by Ace952 on 29 December 2011 - 00:19
|Posting the pedigree would name the breeder.|
by Kalibeck on 29 December 2011 - 00:22
|Poor both of you! How awful for you. Please don't put your pup down on the advise of ANYONE on this board, they are good people with thoughtful opinions, but you know your pup best. Take your time, try weight management & muscle strengthening, swimming is good, but walking is Ok, too, you can sling walk if it's really bad. Use pain meds. As another has said, the decision to PTS cannot be undone. Be very, very sure before you decide to euthanize. Your dog will tell you if it's too much for him. Lots of people live with pain & have productive lives. Your pup may want the chance.....! But you can tell, by looking at him. If you come to a plan of care, you can always change it, if he's not doing well. Trust your gut. Best wishes & good luck to you both, jackie harris|
by ChrissyKim89 on 29 December 2011 - 00:39
|I am not jumping to euthanasia just yet. I'm looking into FHO's and considering his quality of life. He is quite happy though; I would've never even taken him in for x-rays if it weren't for the short whining bouts he'd have getting up after walks. He never whines in any other situation.|
by Olga Ashley on 29 December 2011 - 01:16
If you ask the puppy to live with it or die, I bet he would rather not die! I'm so sorry Chrissy, you have had so many issues with your boy! Take your time with surgery, save up and find a reasonable vet if you choose to go the surgery route. You may want to make a few contacts in CA, there are many vets who do hip surgery out here, $5000 per hip is VERY expensive for hip surgery. You need to keep him very lean and find a way to build up a lot of muscle in the rear (swimming him would be VERY beneficial for him right now). He should be eating adult food and taking a hip supplement (glucosamine, vitamin C, MSM...). Keep him comfortable, no more walks, try to keep him from jumping. Although those hips are not the breeders fault, if I had bred your puppy, I would be giving you a refund.
by workingdogz on 29 December 2011 - 02:37
Try this supplement, it has all of the "goodies" in it for joint health.
Schiff Joint Care Supplement (sold at most Pharmacies, Walmart, grocery stores etc)
Their newest product has 1500mg of Glucosamine & 1500mg MSM, as well as 3.3mg of Hylauronic Acid. You would want to double him up for a good month on the dosage (manufacture recommends 3 tabs per day for a human), we currently give our older dog 4 tabs a day, 2AM 2PM to help him along.
There are very few supplements that don't contain other things like Vitamin D, Vitamin C etc..it's hard to find just plain old joint supplements.
This is a relatively good buy, we paid $22.49 for a bottle with 150 tablets, but was also a "buy one get one", so we loaded up on them
Good luck with your pup, you have had a heck of a tough road with him already and have not had the best experience in communicating with your breeder/broker of choice. It will be very interesting to see how this settles out. The most prudent and ethical thing to do would be for the breeder/broker to refund your total purchase price, as well as shipping costs, (the puppy arrived with a horrid overbite that you were not made aware of prior to purchase if I remember correctly from another board). An act of ethics like this might go a long way for this breeder/broker...and it certainly would be of great help to you and your pup.
You've already invested a LOT in this pup. He's lucky he has you for an owner.
by ILGSDs on 29 December 2011 - 03:11
|Maybe try fundraising online or see if any charities will help you?|
by isachev on 29 December 2011 - 03:19
|I had a GSD with the same looking xrays. Had both femoral heads removed. Some pain meds after OP and that was it. The OP were 6 month apart. She never took anymore pain meds. She lived with 3 other GSD's and just loved life. Sure she didn't move so pretty. She ran like a goofball, but she was the happiest girl I ever had!!! I wouldn't be so fast at putting her down. Tasha lived to 12. If you do go this route, make sure to keep them as LEAN as possible. Swimming and a light exercise program will do wonders. Good Luck and I hope all goes well for you two. Take Care Pete|
by ChrissyKim89 on 29 December 2011 - 03:29
|Thanks guys for the support, I really need it right now. Olga Ashley, I will make some calls to CA vets and see how much an FHO is. Don't suppose you'd know any you'd recommend? Was also considering calling CSU's vet school and seeing if they could do it. Such a bummer AZ has no vet school. Workingdog I will look into picking up that supplement ASAP.|
by Blitzen on 29 December 2011 - 03:38
I'm glad you are considering the surgery for your boy. I would do it too.
by Jenni78 on 29 December 2011 - 03:41
|I will say it again...you might be surprised (or shocked) at how much alternative therapies can help, and if not longterm, at least in the meantime until you can weigh all your options and make an educated decision on what to do. Plus, it will help you feel like you're doing something while weighing those options. For me, that helps- I hate feeling like I'm not doing anything if the thing I want to do is too expensive!|
I understand saying the dog needs to be put down, but that's a lot easier to say about an internet puppy you've never met except for a set of xrays. It's a lot harder when it's YOUR 8month old.
As to the people concerned about who bred the dog...seriously? That's the biggest thing jumping out at you here? Not a shitty situation for man and beast, but who to blame? Why not wait until the breeder tells her to F-off before buying the rope?
by Blitzen on 29 December 2011 - 03:53
|LOL, Jenni. Hang em high!!|
I agree that alternative treatments are worth a try too. Someone I know saw good results in her GSD with UAP using stem cell therapy. The dog I mentioned did well with nothing more than forced rest and Ascriptin. If I'd have posted his xrays here, most would have suggested that he should have been put down too and I did consider that myself. One little boy was glad I didn't.
by aaykay on 29 December 2011 - 04:30
|I understand saying the dog needs to be put down, but that's a lot easier to say about an internet puppy you've never met except for a set of xrays. It's a lot harder when it's YOUR 8month old.|
Agreed totally. Easy to look at this pup as a money-pit, and advise about PTS etc. from behind a keyboard. But when it is an 8-month old that one took out from the shipping crate as a baby, and then raised during these several months, it is not as straightforward. Rough situation for the owner and that is for sure.
When my 5-month old puppy was shipped to me (as a "cargo" of course), I grew emotional when I checked the status of her shipment via the airline website.....that she was delivered to the airport, that she was in-flight, that she had arrived at the destination etc......almost like a part of me had arrived at the destination....could not wait to get the customs clearance etc. done and have her handed over into my care. Now as a nearly 7-month old, she is well and truly and deeply intertwined into my soul (she literally reads my moods !) and having her PTS for whatever reason, would not be a trifling matter of course.
by Slamdunc on 29 December 2011 - 04:32
I wish you and your pup the best. The puppy is lucky to have you to care for it. Please keep us updated on the pup's condition and what the breeder has proposed to do to ease your pup's suffering. It would be nice to see the pedigree at some point as many here are looking for future dogs and perhaps they could be helped to avoid a similar situation.