German Shepherd Dog > In a bit of a bind... (22 replies)
In a bit of a bind...
by zepellin88 on 14 November 2011 - 11:54
|I posted on here a few days ago about my new female I would be going to get this weekend, well she was acting funny the breeders had to take her to the vet turns out it was just gas and shes fine but they wanted to keep her for a week just to make sure she was coming to us in top notch health, BUT while all this was happening I found another female that we LOVE went to see her yesterday and shes great, only problem is now we dont know what to do. One is 6 months the other is 10 months. I need some opinions on what YOU would do. I plan to do a little showing, and maybe have one litter to keep a puppy back for ourselves. The 10 month old has had her hips and elbows screened and they both came back EXCELLENT. She has won some puppy shows. The 6 month old is just got a face though that I love. I need help!!|
6 months old pedigree, her dam is not on pedigreedatabase but her sire is http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=647675. The dams name is Etchica Queska.
10 months old pedigree http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=720614
by GSDguy08 on 14 November 2011 - 12:07
|When were you planning on breeding one of them? If you are going to, at least wait until after they are 24 months which is when you will get hip and elbow x rays done once again.......and send them in to OFA. Also a test for degenerative melepathy (spelling?), a brucellosis test, etc. Most people also prefer to see them titled......I personally don't like it when dogs are JUST shown and not worked. Any plans to train her in the sport of Schutzhund? Can you meet the first female you mentioned, in person? I would go with a dog that you can meet, and not just one you see on the internet.....(speaking from past mistakes). Others will come along with better advice I'm sure, but anytime you mention breeding.......and a dog who is 6 or 10 months of age......and nothing about health tests or titles......... be prepared for harsh comments.|
by djc on 14 November 2011 - 12:14
|For me, it would be the 10month old! Super bone and structure. Excellent pedigree for work and conformation and hips AND has been screened for hips!|
The other is too closely line bred for me and of course can't see the mother line.
BUT, I would hate for you to go back on your word to the first ones breeder, whichever one that is.
by zepellin88 on 14 November 2011 - 12:35
|GSD guy, yes I obviously planned to have both of them titled and have all health test done and have them pass before I even think of breeding. I didnt say for sure I was but I want to keep the option open. They can't even be OFA certified until 2 years of age so of course nothing before then, I might be a lot less knowlegable than you but Im not completely naive. I appreciate your comment though. Thanks djc! She is the one I am looking a little closer at!|
by Nans gsd on 14 November 2011 - 17:00
|Well, I love the vom Haus Dexel lines; but I also think I would go with the 10 month old since we cannot see the younger one. I think she is very pretty; very typey; and half mature. Best of luck whatever you do and you can test for Degenerative Mylophey (SP, sorry) or DM as early as 4 weeks. So I would ask if any of the parents have been tested and what were the results; if they were not tested you can now test both bitches, that is definitely the responsibility of both breeders. Good Luck Nan|
Look deeper than a pretty face. bol nan
by GSDguy08 on 14 November 2011 - 17:10
|zeppellin, not saying your niave.......It's just often times people come on this forum and will talk about breeding dogs like that.....at a very young age. That's good to hear though, good luck with whicherver puppy you decide to get.|
by darylehret on 14 November 2011 - 18:36
|"I need some opinions on what YOU would do."|
I'd keep looking. There's gotta be a workingline breeder somewhere.
by zepellin88 on 14 November 2011 - 19:03
|Dary, I have already tried working lines, I have young kids they were a little too much for my family. I need something a little more layed back.|
by ggturner on 14 November 2011 - 19:26
|Personally, I prefer the 10 month old. I love her colors, plus you said her elbows and hips look excellent.|
by starrchar on 14 November 2011 - 19:59
|I saw the photo of the 6 month old on your other thread and although they are both nice pups, I like the 10 month old better. That said, isn't this going to cause a problem with the original seller?|
by SitasMom on 14 November 2011 - 20:14
|zepellin88 - you made a deal....stick by it.|
Its called honor.
The breeder may have turned away other buyers because you promised you were buying this pup.
by zepellin88 on 14 November 2011 - 20:18
|Sitasmom- I never made a deal with the breeder. I was suppose to go down and look at the female, I never told the breeder I for sure wanted her. She got sick and I couldnt go down and view her.|
by Jenni78 on 14 November 2011 - 23:14
|That's a different story than your first post.|
If you were supposed to be picking the dog up this weekend, why are you still shopping? Don't bother answering...it's just annoying when people are so flighty. I'm so glad I sell relatively few dogs. I hate when people seem to forget they're dogs and not throw pillows to be backed out on or returned as whims change.
by Weezy on 14 November 2011 - 23:47
|Be nice to see the other pup to compare, but 10 Mo old pup is Beautiful. Great looking Bone.|
It does sound like you were suppose to get the other pup from the other breeder though from your first post. Shopping around is a good thing, but if you make a deal it is best if you honor it. If the 6 month old is sickly however, you should at least say something to them about your fears, changing your mind etc, before going after a different puppy.
by Red Sable on 15 November 2011 - 00:35
|The female was acting funny, and it was only gas... that would make me nervous as a buyer.|
Is there any bloat that you know of in her pedigree?
IMHO, you still have time to change your mind. This is a long term relationship and if you have any qualms, best to back out now than be stuck with a dog you are not happy with. The seller can always resell her.
It is six months old, hardly a puppy, and I doubt she was holding it for 4 months for this buyer.
by Sherman-RanchGSD on 15 November 2011 - 01:42
|I have never taken my dogs to vet for gas.. ..|
I find it unusual someone who was so commited would suddenly in such short time go *find* another dog..but perhaps and nor do I care to know all the circumstances.
And while it make stink of WTF....as a breeder I would rather have the prospective buyer speak up..divulge all... no him hawe or BS....the dog is a living creature not a red pari of shoes to return the next day. I only want commited people HAPPY with the choice they have made with my assistance.
As the dog was not sold, it is not being re sold.. the breeder will later thank his/her lucky stars, be patient and when the right forever home comes along that is meant to be...well then all will be happy :)
I too think it is wise as red sable says to bring your reservations up to the person you had a commitment with. Its a little stinky...JMO but from a breeders point of view,BETTER for the dog to know now. then BREEDER Can decide too that perhaps the prospective buyer is not the right home for her. Pehaps prospective owner is not completely ready for a commitment ... Personally, I would rathe not chance it as a breeder..later having someone complaine because they didnt look before they leaped.
WHAT would I DO???? First speak to the breeders as human beans and when you are ready to make a choice and stick to it without hesitation..= make a full strong, commitment for the life of the dog whatever one YOU choose.... do it.
IF you have entered a contract oblige it as the adult human that signed it...so that would mean dont *expect* other then what has been presented to you.. does not mean you wont get something more..just dont expect... that is what I would do..
by hexe on 15 November 2011 - 03:01
|Hmm. Given that you indicated you had every intention of bringing the 6 month old (who appears to be lovely, from the photo you posted earlier) home when you went to the breeders, it certainly sounded like you had made a commitment--AKA a *contract*--to buy that pup. I don't find any red flags waving just because the breeder felt the pup wasn't acting right, and wanted her checked by the vet so she asked you to postpone your trip to their kennel--in fact, I think it's pretty darn conscientious of the breeder to be observant enough to notice something was amiss, and concerned enough to have the vet check the pup over...do you know how many 'for the $$$' breeders would have just sent the pup home with you, as long as you brought the agreed upon price? Puppies eat stuff they're not supposed to eat, which can cause a wide array of results, from a bit of gas to a full-blown obstruction; it would seem that the vet gave the 'all clear' for this pup, so why would you immediately go look at another dog before you knew what the situation was with the first one?|
The first thing you need to do is to tell the breeder who has the 6 month old pup that you're now on the fence about her--IF you really didn't have a commitment to take that pup home this past weekend. If you DID commit to taking her--and a verbal contract is as valid as a written one, if the breeder can prove it, and email counts as 'written'--then you still need to talk to the breeder of the 6 month old, but now you're actually breaching a contract and there could be nasty repercussions if you back out without good reason.
As for the hip & elbow x-rays on the 10 month old, they're as valid as films of the 6 month old would be. If that's really one of the selling points for you with the 10 month old, then ask the breeder with the 6 month old to have prelims done, too, before you go any further with the deal. If they don't come back good, then you'll at least have a valid reason for backing out on the dog.
by alboe2009 on 15 November 2011 - 04:56
|Each person is entitled to make their own decisions.......... And maybe you posted on here to hear our thoughts and possibly ease your conscience? Not sure. I'm going to have to side with the individuals thinking that it wasn't a good thing not taking the first one. If you can afford it buy both and I'm sure that would make most happy! I'm not a breeder so I have no idea if prospective "GOOD" buyers are lined up or if times are tight where all the pups are not sold; (That supply and demand thing) Put yourself in the breeders' shoes. They believed they found the perfect home for their girl. Out of respect, professionalism, caring and just doing the right thing they took the pup to the vet. (KUDOS!) and informed you.|
Here's where I have a problem. (Had to go back and reread the original post you wrote) You were going to make the trip that weekend to pick her up? You have pictures of her and put one of her on your avatar. Not being mean, but it appeared you were proud to be getting her? And the cementers to the first topic stated how much they liked her also. To me it sounded like a DONE DEAL? And something happened along the way. I would hope that some sort of communication happened with the breeder before asking us? And that the breeder isn't seeing this for the first time here? I'm not a breeder but I am an animal lover and when the time does come to raise, breed and sell puppies this would be a red flag in my eyes. (Future buyers) Not saying you're a bad person or to be mean but it will be hard enough to see them leave but to wonder if you did the right thing or if the went to the BEST home would bother me. We see on here (PDB) what some breeders do go through with their babies...............
by zepellin88 on 15 November 2011 - 08:00
|You have all misunderstood me and the 6 month old is not my avatar pic? That is my working line pup. I contacted the breeder and said hi Im interested in your female she gave me all the info on her and I set up a time to view her... when I posted her I had all her info and I assumed I would be getting her in my mind I never told the breeder that!! It was only a viewing. THEN when the breeder said hi we have just had to take her to the vet she was bloated I was like oh ok well do I still need to come down tomorrow and they said NO we want to watch her for the next week or two and make sure she is ok we will schedule another time for you to come view her later on... SO that is when I started looking at other dogs and I found Helena I went and saw her that day. I emailed the breeder last night and told her that I didn't think her female was going to work out she was is no way mad at all.... Saying its ok some things just aren't meant to be. Im not being flighty whatsoever. SO thanks for everyone who decided to post something helpful, those who didn't thanks for nothing.|
by Anthony8858 on 15 November 2011 - 12:28
|The word "bloated" is enought to scare me.|