Training and Obedience > Show Line Limitations (9 replies)
Show Line Limitations
by Rickyc on 11 June 2012 - 09:14
Hi, i would like to ask your opinions if show line GSD's will perform well doing family protection work?
by NigerDeltaMann on 11 June 2012 - 11:50
|Absolutely "YES". But depending on its training, intelligence and how strong your WGSL is. Normally, all GSD have their protection instincts but need some human directions, as in proper training to direct it to the expected goal.|
by GSDguy08 on 11 June 2012 - 15:03
|NigerDeltaMann, that statement about it depending on it's training is not totally true. You can train a dog in protection till your blue in the face, but if the dog does not have the proper genetics, drives, abilities, confidence, etc.......Then no......the training will not be of much value.|
by brynjulf on 11 June 2012 - 20:30
|A good showline dog has no limitations, just as a good workingline is also only limited by its breeding. There are crap dogs of all lineage out there at the moment. On the upside that means there are also good ones. You will have to do some serious homework no matter what lines you go with. If you mean AKC type shepherds you will need to research just that much harder.|
by SitasMom on 16 June 2012 - 23:55
both working lines and show lines each have trouble with nerves..... picking a confident puppy and training it well is the key.
by Rickyc on 26 June 2012 - 06:24
|Thanks a lot on your replies, we actually have a sholine GSD that has been trained for personal protection here he is http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=735869|
i just often wonder how will he do in real life events versus in training, where in training there would be a decoy/agitator to heve him bite, in reality, a bad person will not agitate your dog before attacking you, here is his video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiEQsqLcghY&feature=g-upl if you can give your personal thoughts will be ok so we know how to adjust our mistakes,
by troublelinx on 25 July 2012 - 19:01
|That would be comparable to finding a needle in a hay stack.|
Just because it can be done dosnt necessarly mean it should be done.
You have better luck winning the lottery
by duke1965 on 27 July 2012 - 06:13
|ricky, the best path to follow normally is to ask advice BEFORE you purchase, not after, looking at your video, I dont see much personal protection training, basically a variation on sch biting , nothing more nothing less|
to your question can showlines do it ,I would say yes, but not easy to find them, showlines in general have more sharpness and suspicion, you got to find the ones who will back up those qualities with stable nerves and courage and there wont be many with that complete package , Ive tested one for a client yesterday that will be very good at this, but it is very different video than yours, another one that comes to mind ive seen myself some years ago is this one, video shows sleevework, but ive personally experienced this one, he is from great lines and has good siblings as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUcju8id0Tc , so they are out there but not many
by Knighthawkranch on 28 July 2012 - 15:27
|As others have said it depends on the dog. I had an all showline bred (German) bitch who floored us all with her protection abilities and drives. Thr sweetest dog in the world but I had now doubt that she would be there when needed. I wish she were still around but alas dogs get old too fast, especially the good ones.|
by Prager on 30 July 2012 - 18:09
|95% of normal dogs, that is dogs with normal to strong nerves can be trained family protection to more or less advanced level. The remaining 5% percent are overly submissive and totally non aggressive dogs. |
I have done it commercially for 35+ years.